Monday, May 12, 2008

Hideous? Maybe. Scary? Hell, yes . . .

I have been sewing a bit. Not as much as usual but a fair bit. Remember this jacket? I knew that I was going to need another one because of the cat fights between the girls. I went ahead and made it tonight. My husband likes the color, I think it may be a bit garrish? Hideous? Bright? Whichever adjective you use, the child will be easy to see. This is another version of the Jalie hooded sweatshirt. I used Polartec 200 and a green zipper. I am going to make another ORANGE jacket so the girls will be like beacons in the night.

The scary part is that we went to Whittier this Saturday. See this post to see my husband's boat. The sealions were not happy we were on their turf. Ever been chased and assaulted by a 1500 pound mammal? Damn scary. We are not that close, this is my camera way zoomed in and a very enlarged, cropped picture.


You can see the male sealion coming to "visit" us in the lower right. Those are his ladies on the mooring buoy. Needless to say, we got outta dodge pretty darn quick.

4 comments:

Elaray said...

"Chased and assautled by a 1500 pound mammal?" There's a Mama joke in there somewhere!
My neighbor used to dress her sons in similar outfits so in case one of them got separated from the family she could easily describe what he was wearing. Your orange hoodies are an extension of that idea.

Paula Gardner said...

That doesn't hurt my eyes at all! More info on the assault, please!

Meg said...

Love the sea lions photos and commentary. I remember seeing them sunbathe like that in northern California, and you're right, they can be quite threatening!

Anonymous said...

Hey...quick question regarding your jacket. I haven't seen the inside, does Jalie require facings? I finished a simplicity pattern for my son and it required facings and it got quite thick sewing through all the layers and had problems with skipped stitches. --Myrcrew