Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Retail Therapy?

I've been bad this summer about staying on my sewing budget. I'm sure my husband noticed but he would never say anything about it. The limit is self-imposed. I haven't gone crazy or anything but I certainly haven't kept track of what I was spending. It's August, school is starting, and it's time to get back into a routine. That includes the budget routine. Even though it's mid-August, this is the first official expenditure. Why? Because I decided, that's why. I'm not going to try to find receipts and tally up my total for the first 18 days of the month. So, there ya go. I follow the rules when it's convenient, I guess.

I'm part of the Chanel Sew Along but don't, as of yet, have a Chanel pattern. I was glancing through PatternReview's catalog and saw this Kwik Sew jacket. I think it's very nice and Kwik Sew fits me well.


Then I saw this Burda pattern. I was unable to decide between them and so I bought both. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that. I want to try out both patterns and figure out the main differences. I haven't for sure picked out my boucle fabric but I do have some options.

Then, I saw this pattern. I've wanted to try it since it came out and now, it seems, I will.



I'll keep you posted. I'm cutting out the lining on the Vogue jacket. Man, that thing has become the monkey around my neck. I will finish. I will finish. I can't handle something not getting done.

7 comments:

Kathi said...

Have you made bras before? I have a hard time getting the right fit, but I honestly have no desire to make my own!
Both jacket patterns look nice! Look forward to reading what you decide!

Unknown said...

You will finish! You will finish! If you can run a half marathon, you can finish this jacket! I cut my pattern yesterday, but have to find the right muslin fabric. This will be one of my NY projects.

JoanneM said...

Sewing budget.....mmm.....I am not one to speak......Both jacket patterns are great...and making a bra is fun but it is tedious and time consuming. Once you get the fit right the fabrics are really fun to work with.

Mary Beth said...

Hi Dawn: I have made and reviewed the KS jacket and skirt at PR. I still wear the jacket but had to add covered hook and eye to hold it closed. Without it the jacket fronts swing open at my bust. Due to our difference in body shapes, yours may not. For a Chanel style jacket I would look to make sure there is a way to add a closure to the jacket front, like use the KS with a zipper. I also found that I had to move the pocket placement around to make it more pleasing to my proportions. Have fun!

Marybeth said...

Where did you get the bra patterns?

Maryissewfast said...

Josh at Trendy Fabrics is having an amazing sale...I'm just saying because I fell off the wagon and made a big fat order...it makes me feel better when other indulge too! Thanks for sharing!

TE said...

Totally unrelated question: do you have any web or catalogue sources for neon (safety, day-glo) green, orange or yellow fabric appropriate for running t-shirts? Drivers here are not always careful; runners and walkers need to dress defensively! Thanks bunches.