Monday, September 7, 2009

I'm In - PR Wardrobe Contest

After seeing the fantastic wardrobe storyboards (look on the first page of the thread), I just had to jump on board. You must have 4 bottoms, 5 tops, and a "topper". I piled together all the purple and gray fabrics and voila, a wardrobe is born. And, I'm sorry to say that this isn't all of them. These are just the ones I thought would go well together*. I think my stash is a little bit bigger than I thought. Here you can see all of them together.


These will be the bottoms. From l-r: black stretch denim (High Fashion Fabrics in Houston), black pinstripe RPL (JoAnns), gray pinstripe RPL (JoAnns), gray bi-stretch gabardine (Seams Like Home).


Tops l-r: wool challis (High Fashion Fabrics), purple poly jersey (Fabrics and Notions coop), double-sided gray-white doubleknit (Seams Like Home).


Black silk/cotton shirting (Fabrics and Notions coop) and wool/poly sweater knit (from my wholesaler).


You have to have one "topper" piece. The definition "is anything that has the basic function of covering your top. So a tailored jacket (not necessarily recommended unless you sew REALLY fast) counts. A loose jacket counts. A cardigan counts. A poncho counts. Ask the contest manager if you aren’t certain." I'm planning on making a cropped vest because I love vests. I have two purple wools that might work for this. On is a thinner pinker purple (bottom) and one is a thicker bluer purple. I'll have to figure out which one works with all the combinations. I may end up making a jacket instead.



So, ten pieces total by November 30. I have some ideas on the actual patterns but nothing solid yet. I should have that ironed out in the next couple of days.





*Subject to change whenever I damn well feel like it.

9 comments:

Kathi said...

Wow, you are going to be busy! I am sure it will all be lovely!

Myra said...

I know you can do it, me, I couldn't even get enough time to do a basic mini-wardrobe. I love that purple is making a big comeback, I shopped for clothes last weekend and saw lots of purple, grey and other jewel tones.

spottedroo said...

Yum! Love seeing everybody's fabric choices. I made a big pile of gray and burnt orange this weekend that I hope will become a fall wardrobe. I think the 4 bottoms/5 tops is a bit much for me though.

Good luck!

Connie b said...

You are using the same colour combo I am thinking of using. It will be interesting to see our interpretations.

Amy said...

Woo hoo! So glad you'll be joining the contest!

And if you ever feel the need to clean out your stash, you can send stuff to me, lol :)

Gail said...

I always look at the wardrobe competitions and shy away. I love the concept and the challenge but I'm not that disciplined as a sewer to make a plan and stick to it.

Lori said...

Wonderful fabrics and colors, you will have a wonderful wardrobe.

senaSews said...

I love your colors and fabrics. Can't wait to see your pattern choices!

Anonymous said...

*Sigh*, what are you doing with my life???? (j/k) I, too, am planning a grey/purple wardrobe, however, I haven't started yet, and don't have many fabrics :). I like your ideas and love the fabrics you have, so it may be time to get cracking on my own!!

Seriously, how do you manage to fit everything in? I also have three kids, work full time, and don't get much exercise or much (any) sewing in a lot of the time. I know you have posted bits and pieces before, but I would love if you could post a bit more about this.

Looking forward to seeing the wardrobe anyway!!