Sunday, November 22, 2009

Burda 12-2009 #115 The alterations . . .

I really like this new issue of Burda. I am going to make these pants but have to figure out how to alter them. I usually make a size 36 for bottoms and then take in the CB for a swayback adjustment. I sometimes take in the side seams just a bit. If I have to do that with this pattern, how would I do it???? This has a side seam for the waistband and the yoke but the leg sections do not have any side seaming. Don't worry, I am planning on making a muslin.


I may get lucky and only have to take in the yoke piece and waistband. If I'm unlucky I may have to take part of the leg piece. How would ya'll tackle this? I put down, in red, what I'm thinking. I do realize the leg section would have to be sliced to the bottom hem, leaving a small piece attached, so I can use that as my hinge.



Hmmmmm, ponder, ponder, ponder.

9 comments:

Amanda S. said...

Well, I don't know about fitting advice, but I LOVE the seams on those pants!!! Thanks for the little preview. Mine hasn't come in the mail yet.

Rose said...

If it were me, I'd just use the original pattern for the muslin. It seems like the amount of adjustment would be easier to determine in fabric on your body. Dern--where is my Burda this month? I love those pants!

Jackie said...

Hi;
the post below about the split yarn zipper tutorial for your super bags, it doesn't go anywhere. Is there another link you could recommend.
I love your blog, by the way.

joannely said...

When you make your muslin be sure to add 1 inch seam allowances and draw your straight of grain on the fabric. If you are lucky, it could just involve moving your center front seam over a bit and not involving other pieces. These pants could look very slimming if that back wrap around panel was in a darker color or matte finish fabric. Once you have the pattern perfected piping could go in some of the seams for a wow factor. How exciting!

melissa said...

Oh I'm so excited to finally see the back view of these (my issue won't get here for another week or so at least)! I was really hoping they'd be similar to the KnipMode jeans I made this Spring and they are, yayy!

Joy said...

if it were me...I'd downsize the entire pattern, each piece individually. I did this recently with Burda's bootleg cuffed pants (4-2009-118) and it worked well (although that's a simple pattern). I've done this with multiple-pieced patterns (pockets, yokes, hem panels, etc.) as well and it has always worked fine, so far...

meredithp said...

You might just downsize where the other sizes "end". I think your muslin will show you the way.

Kathi said...

I loved these pants in the new issue also!!! I wish the pictures showed the seams better. I had no idea about those seams until I looked at the line drawing.

Shelley's Garden said...

I'd glad you're excited about this issue. For me -- I'm sad. My source for buying Burda mag has dried up :(So I've put in for a subscription but likely won't get a copy til at least January.