Saturday, February 9, 2013

Burda 8/2012 #121 Seamed Dress

I loved this dress in the magazine when I first saw it. I’m not sure what was holding me up; maybe all the pattern pieces? There really aren’t that many. I really love it in this red but I’m trying not to buy fabric and use what I have. I’m not on a silly fabric fast or anything, that would be silly.


b_0812_121_12b_0812_121_11

 

Let me see, what changes did I make to it . . . I shortened it but left everything else alone. It’s pretty hard to photograph being that I was inside at about 3pm and the fabric is a darker color. 
b_0812_121_7

 

It looks equally nice and fitted without the belt (in my opinion).
b_0812_121_8

 

The back has an invisible zipper to my mid butt. I know it’s hard to see everything with the bad lighting. It’s Alaska, gah. It’s twilight most of the winter.
b_0812_121_2 (2)

 

It has cute little darts in the sleeves that I love.
b_0812_121_6

 

This is where all the seams in the front meet. This is a nubby wool that kind of more of a gray-navy than anything else.
b_0812_121_5

 

How fun is this lining? I love that it’s so bright and vivid inside this relatively dull dress.
b_0812_121_9

 

Here's my inside finishing of the invisible zipper.
b_0812_121_3

 

I used a lace hem facing and handsewed the hem.
b_0812_121_4

 

On the sleeves and hem, I just hemmed the lining up and out of the way. The sleeves flare quite a bit and I didn’t want to deal with trying to get everything to ease the right way with all that flare.
b_0812_121_10

 

Other notes of interest: this is a tall pattern but seems to fit me fine with no adjustments, the neck is really high and almost claustrophobic, I love it!

13 comments:

Sewingelle said...

Wow. Fabulous dress. Love the stripy lining (and your gorgeous red shoes...)

Carmen Bouchard aka Carmencita said...

This is lovely! I love the lining, fits you wonderfully. Awesomeness abounds.

Paulette said...

Ok, that lining is perfect!!

Katharine Cunningham-Carlot said...

Love your interpretation, and the fantastic lining. It fits and flatters you so well. Bravo!

Sofie said...

It's fantastic and the lining is just wow! A very nice dress.

SewingSveta said...

Nice dress! Will put in my wish-list!

Cissie said...

Great, classic dress, Dawn! I, too, love the surprise lining.

Lori VanMaanen said...

Dawn, this dress looks great on you, perfect fit. The colorful lining is a fun extra. Great job.

Elise Lin said...

You made it a better fit than the picture in Burda! You look great, and the dress has beautiful seam lines.

Gwendolyn LeLacheur said...

That's a super dress. Love your MaryJanes with it.

Belinda said...

You look marvelous! I love it styled with the Mary Janes (red is my favorite color).

theperfectnose said...

Lovely-I too prefer it without the belt! And I love the lining. I always thought you were tall so it makes sense that the tall sizes fit you without adjustments. And nicely done on the zipper too.

Chris said...

Whow, this looks great! I love the lining too. I just made the same dress in a more summery version - would you mind if I linked my post to yours? I'm on www.handmadebychris.wordpress.com
Thanks, Chris