Monday, April 11, 2016

Sewing for Spring

Spring is officially here. No snow, temperatures in the 50s, chicken poop in the yard, and trampoline set up. I am READY. The winter was crappy with almost no snow and continual icy conditions. I only skiied one time and I ran most of the winter. I usually take a break from running and lift more weights and do more skiing. Not this year!

Needless to say, I’m ready for the next season. I have a thing for shirt dresses right now. I looked back through my Burdas and found this little gem. It is perfect for what I was wanting to make. There is another view that has 3/4 sleeves too. This is 04-2010 #116. The only bummer about it was that the smallest size was the 38 and I’m a 34. I had to size down two sizes while tracing it. It’s more annoying than anything. When I first saw the line drawing I was like, YASSSS. I thought I would look at the model photo and, as Burda usual, it’s super unhelpful. Gee thanks, Burda.
b_0410_116_12b_0410_116_13

 

I really like how it turned out. I used a peachskin woven fabric from Girl Charlee. I really like the weight of it and how it’s pretty easy to sew. The edges do tend to fray so you have to either serge them or do french seams.
b_0410_116_1

 

It has a shoulder yoke and a gently curved hem at the front and back. IT has just enough ease to be fitted but still comfortable.
b_0410_116_2

 

It does flare a bit at the bottom hem.
b_0410_116_3
b_0410_116_4

 

We are both divas. Do not sass a diva.
b_0410_116_5

 

This is the best collar I’ve ever done. I really like how it turned out!! The thread and bobbin thread are slightly different colors of blue. Dammit! Only you guys will ever know.
b_0410_116_8
b_0410_116_7

 

There are little cuffs on the short sleeves.
b_0410_116_6

 

I could have made buttonholes and sewed on buttons, but snaps are easier and I love these copper ones.
b_0410_116_9

 

I love the little details on this dress, the pockets, the sleeve cuffs, and the curved hem. I didn’t try to match the pocket; I don’t think it matters much on this crazy pattern.
b_0410_116_10

 

This is more the true color. I’m trying to incorporate more variety of colors in my clothing. I tend to wear the same colors over and over again. I chose this print because it’s pretty and it’s one of the Pantone colors for spring.
b_0410_116_11

 

Next? More running tights. Spring cross country is starting and my little baboos need tights! (Probably. When I make a plan, my only thought is to do something else. It’s the rebel in me!)

1 comment:

Annette Wright said...

That's a sweet dress. I haven't pulled out my Burda magazines in so long. Time to do it. Enjoy your weather.